Even if England beat Italy, Germany will knock them out: Capello
Madrid: Former England coach Fabio Capello believes that it does not matter who wins Sunday`s Euro 2012 quarter-final between the Three Lions and Italy because Germany will beat them in the next round.
Roy Hodgson`s side face the Azzurri in Kiev after winning Group D and are in buoyant mood, with the former West Brom boss still unbeaten with the national team.
But former Italy international Capello, the man Hodgson replaced, is predicting a Germany-Spain final while also admitting that he has mixed emotions ahead of the clash between his native country and former charges.
"I have contrasting sentiments about Sunday’s game," the 66-year-old told the Mirror.
"I worked with England for four years and I can’t easily forget that. However, Spain and Germany will be the two finalists at Euro 2012."
Germany face Greece on Friday night, with Spain playing France on Saturday, and Capello went on to elaborate on the clash of styles he is expecting if the two countries do reach the final.
The potential match-up would be a repeat of the 2008 final, which La Roja won 1-0 thanks to a Fernando Torres goal.
"Germany have an incredible spirit and have real strength, while Spain are the side who play the best football even if they are missing something in attack – they need a player like Lionel Messi," Capello opined.
"Generally speaking, I think that these two sides are superior to the rest of the teams in the competition."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...