Even if England beat Italy, Germany will knock them out: Capello
Madrid: Former England coach Fabio Capello believes that it does not matter who wins Sunday`s Euro 2012 quarter-final between the Three Lions and Italy because Germany will beat them in the next round.
Roy Hodgson`s side face the Azzurri in Kiev after winning Group D and are in buoyant mood, with the former West Brom boss still unbeaten with the national team.
But former Italy international Capello, the man Hodgson replaced, is predicting a Germany-Spain final while also admitting that he has mixed emotions ahead of the clash between his native country and former charges.
"I have contrasting sentiments about Sunday’s game," the 66-year-old told the Mirror.
"I worked with England for four years and I can’t easily forget that. However, Spain and Germany will be the two finalists at Euro 2012."
Germany face Greece on Friday night, with Spain playing France on Saturday, and Capello went on to elaborate on the clash of styles he is expecting if the two countries do reach the final.
The potential match-up would be a repeat of the 2008 final, which La Roja won 1-0 thanks to a Fernando Torres goal.
"Germany have an incredible spirit and have real strength, while Spain are the side who play the best football even if they are missing something in attack – they need a player like Lionel Messi," Capello opined.
"Generally speaking, I think that these two sides are superior to the rest of the teams in the competition."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler