Even if England beat Italy, Germany will knock them out: Capello
Madrid: Former England coach Fabio Capello believes that it does not matter who wins Sunday`s Euro 2012 quarter-final between the Three Lions and Italy because Germany will beat them in the next round.
Roy Hodgson`s side face the Azzurri in Kiev after winning Group D and are in buoyant mood, with the former West Brom boss still unbeaten with the national team.
But former Italy international Capello, the man Hodgson replaced, is predicting a Germany-Spain final while also admitting that he has mixed emotions ahead of the clash between his native country and former charges.
"I have contrasting sentiments about Sunday’s game," the 66-year-old told the Mirror.
"I worked with England for four years and I can’t easily forget that. However, Spain and Germany will be the two finalists at Euro 2012."
Germany face Greece on Friday night, with Spain playing France on Saturday, and Capello went on to elaborate on the clash of styles he is expecting if the two countries do reach the final.
The potential match-up would be a repeat of the 2008 final, which La Roja won 1-0 thanks to a Fernando Torres goal.
"Germany have an incredible spirit and have real strength, while Spain are the side who play the best football even if they are missing something in attack – they need a player like Lionel Messi," Capello opined.
"Generally speaking, I think that these two sides are superior to the rest of the teams in the competition."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert