Fabregas likens Portugal-Spain Euro QF clash to ‘El Clasico’
London: Spanish midfielder Cesc Fabregas has compared their Euro Cup 2012 clash with Portugal to the El Clasico clash between Real Madrid and Barcelona, saying Portugal’s style mirrors Los Blancos’ counter-attacking style using the explosive pace of Cristiano Ronaldo and Luis Nani.
Barcelona stars Gerard Pique, maestro Xavi, Andres Iniesta, Sergio Busquets and Fabregas form the spine of Vicente Del Bosque’s world champion team.
But there is also a hefty sprinkling of Real Madrid in Iker Casillas, Alvaro Arbeloa, Sergio Ramos and Xabi Alonso.
“Portugal is one of the strongest teams. They defend well and are lethal on the counter. They’re similar to Real Madrid and we must be at the top of our game,” The Sun quoted Fabregas, as saying.
“You can liken and compare it to Real Madrid–Barcelona in terms of the respective styles of the teams. But there are different players and we also have players from many teams so it’ll not be the same,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...