Ferdinand fears omission from Euro 2012 squad may spell end of his England career
London : Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand fears his omission from the Euro 2012 squad may mark the end of his England career.
The 33-year-old told England manager Roy Hodgson that he will never retire from internationals.
“You would have to say it might be over with England for me. If I’m not getting picked now, especially when people are out injured, then it is unlikely I will be picked again,” Ferdinand said.
“I really hoped I would get 100 caps, but for various reasons it hasn’t happened. It is a disappointment. I won’t discuss what Mr. Hodgson has said to me but he knows I wanted to be in the squad."
“But just because I am not there, don’t think I want them to fail. I am not bitter. I know how much the boys want to succeed,” he said.
Ferdinand has played just once for England in the past two years due to injury but featured in 30 of United`s 38 Premier League games last season.
He said: “I might have had a few injury problems in the past but I was in good shape. I played all our games in the run-in, the manager was happy with me, and I was feeling really good. You can`t ask for any more."
“To lose the title to City like we did and miss out on the Euros was hard to take, I admit that. But I`m chomping at the bit to get back to United and start next season. I`m not one for looking back - I`m looking forward and there`s still a lot for me to do in this game.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- DNA: World soccer rocked by Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for graft
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Check out: Salman Khan goes across the border in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Baal nahi ball ko dekho: Sachin Tendulkar's tip to tackle Lasith Malinga
- Waiting for Jaypee to come back to me on Indian GP's return in 2016: Bernie Ecclestone
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be announced today at 10:30 AM