Ferdinand fears omission from Euro 2012 squad may spell end of his England career
London : Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand fears his omission from the Euro 2012 squad may mark the end of his England career.
The 33-year-old told England manager Roy Hodgson that he will never retire from internationals.
“You would have to say it might be over with England for me. If I’m not getting picked now, especially when people are out injured, then it is unlikely I will be picked again,” Ferdinand said.
“I really hoped I would get 100 caps, but for various reasons it hasn’t happened. It is a disappointment. I won’t discuss what Mr. Hodgson has said to me but he knows I wanted to be in the squad."
“But just because I am not there, don’t think I want them to fail. I am not bitter. I know how much the boys want to succeed,” he said.
Ferdinand has played just once for England in the past two years due to injury but featured in 30 of United`s 38 Premier League games last season.
He said: “I might have had a few injury problems in the past but I was in good shape. I played all our games in the run-in, the manager was happy with me, and I was feeling really good. You can`t ask for any more."
“To lose the title to City like we did and miss out on the Euros was hard to take, I admit that. But I`m chomping at the bit to get back to United and start next season. I`m not one for looking back - I`m looking forward and there`s still a lot for me to do in this game.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- Vodafone launches unlimited free voice calling offer for prepaid customers