France`s Euro 2012 squad reveals some worrying weaknesses
France: Shortly before Uefa’s deadline, Laurent Blanc finalised his France squad for Euro 2012. There was no surprise when he cut ailing Olympique Lyonnais playmaker Yoan Gourcuff from his panel, but the decision to trim versatile Montpellier defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa will doubtless be greeted with some scepticism.
On Sunday, France disappointed defensively against Iceland. While they recorded an impressive 33 efforts on goal at the offensive end, they looked brittle and uncertain at the back, with the form of experienced players Philippe Mexes and Patrice Evra certainly cause for concern. Now Blanc has left himself a choice of only three centre-backs, meaning his 23-man panel - which is heavy in midfield - is susceptible to injury and suspension problems defensively.
Yanga-Mbiwa is also a different kind of centre-back to Mexes, Adil Rami and Laurent Koscielny. He exceeds the trio athletically, and would have provided cover in a back four that can often be found too square. Had he even a touch of top-level experience, he would almost certainly have made the grade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Now recharge your body and phone with KFC's 'Watt a Box' meal!- Watch
- Volkswagen to pay $10 billion in US over emissions scandal: Source
- PM Narendra Modi meets Chinese President Xi Jinping, seeks support for India's NSG bid
- Focus on defence, security as PM Modi meets Uzbek President
- President tells IIT, IISc-Bangalore and IISER scholars to make India great