Germany could not control Italy`s midfielders, says Klinsmann
Warsaw: United States coach Jurgen Klinsmann thinks that Germany failed to limit the action of Italy`s midfielders in Thursday`s 2-1 defeat at Euro 2012.
A late Mesut Ozil penalty was not enough for Joachim Low`s side to turn the match around after Italy had taken a commanding lead lead with two goals from Mario Balotelli during the first half.
The Azzurri were in control of the match for large spells, and Klinsmann, who took charge of Germany between 2004 and 2006, thinks that the Italian midfielders simply ran riot.
"We were able to play in the first half, but then Italy played marvelously in defence in the second half," he told Der Tagesspiegel.
"We lost most tackles in midfield. We could not control Andrea Pirlo, Riccardo Montolivo or Daniele De Rossi. The game was lost in the midfield."
Germany team manager Oliver Bierhoff, who had labelled his side favourites against Italy, made no secret of his frustration with the result, but stressed that the quality of the team must not be questioned.
"After such a defeat, you have to be disappointed," the 44-year-old said. "We believed in our target and did not reach it. We were not so pressured that we had to leave as winners.
"The team has room for improvement. We believe in these players. We will learn from this experience."
Germany get back to competitive action with a home clash with the Faroe Islands on September 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials