Germany could not control Italy`s midfielders, says Klinsmann
Warsaw: United States coach Jurgen Klinsmann thinks that Germany failed to limit the action of Italy`s midfielders in Thursday`s 2-1 defeat at Euro 2012.
A late Mesut Ozil penalty was not enough for Joachim Low`s side to turn the match around after Italy had taken a commanding lead lead with two goals from Mario Balotelli during the first half.
The Azzurri were in control of the match for large spells, and Klinsmann, who took charge of Germany between 2004 and 2006, thinks that the Italian midfielders simply ran riot.
"We were able to play in the first half, but then Italy played marvelously in defence in the second half," he told Der Tagesspiegel.
"We lost most tackles in midfield. We could not control Andrea Pirlo, Riccardo Montolivo or Daniele De Rossi. The game was lost in the midfield."
Germany team manager Oliver Bierhoff, who had labelled his side favourites against Italy, made no secret of his frustration with the result, but stressed that the quality of the team must not be questioned.
"After such a defeat, you have to be disappointed," the 44-year-old said. "We believed in our target and did not reach it. We were not so pressured that we had to leave as winners.
"The team has room for improvement. We believe in these players. We will learn from this experience."
Germany get back to competitive action with a home clash with the Faroe Islands on September 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it