Hodgson blasts Three Lion’s comparison to ‘defensive’ Italians
London: England Boss Roy Hodgson has rejected suggestions of his Three Lions team being as defensive as the Italians, after Italian journalists suggested the two teams are alike ahead of tonight’s Euro 2012 quarter-final clash.
“Don’t dare compare us to them,” an irritated Hodgson said.
Italy is famous for their negative and defensive tactics, and England have played in a similar fashion so far to a draw with France before narrowly beating Sweden and Ukraine.
However, Hodgson denied England’s plan was to be conservative.
“I don’t know what they mean when they say we play like the Italian team. They’d have to explain to me what qualities they see in our play to suggest we have the same qualities we see in the Italians’ play,” he said.
Hodgson instead paid tribute to England’s survival instincts.
“I don’t think at this level of competition there is ever going to be a match when you are always in the ascendancy. We have to try to break the hoodoo. It’s a nasty statistic because it’s a very negative one,” he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert