I agreed to take the fifth penalty: Cristiano Ronaldo
Donetsk: Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo has confirmed that he agreed to take the fifth penalty in the shoot-out in his side`s Euro 2012 semi-final defeat to Spain.
The Seleccao lost the match after Joao Moutinho and Bruno Alves both failed from the spot, with Ronaldo - who usually takes their penalties - not having had the chance to beat Iker Casillas.
"I was going to take the fifth penalty but we missed two," Ronaldo told reporters. "It was just a question of me speaking with the coach. He said to me: `Do you want to take the fifth one?` and I said `yes`.
"Sometimes I take the first, the second or the third. I agreed to take the fifth.”
"I hope Spain win the tournament now because I have a lot friends there and I play there and it will be a tough final for them.”
"It felt very normal playing against Real Madrid players. On the pitch we are not friends, but outside we are."
Ronaldo admitted that losing on penalties was difficult to take, but said that he believes Portugal have had a good tournament.
"I feel sad. Losing a semi-final in the penalty shoot-out is always painful, but it is a lottery: the luckier side wins," he told SIC.
"I think it was a good tournament on our part. We did very well. We are amongst the best four teams in Europe and the only reason we do not reach the final is because we were not lucky.
"We have to be proud of what we did, but we are a bit frustrated because we know we could reach the final.
"I gave my best, so I am satisfied with that I did. We deserved to be in the final, but we were not lucky."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy