I would not compare France to Barcelona: Valdes
Warsaw: Spain goalkeeper Victor Valdes has leapt to the defence of Vicente del Bosque, saying that the criticism targeted at the coach is senseless and dismissed the notion that France`s playing style resembles that of Barcelona.
The 61-year-old had come under fire following his decision to deploy Cesc Fabregas as a false nine in La Roja`s 1-1 draw with Italy in their Euro 2012 opener.
Del Bosque was then criticised in the wake of Spain`s disappointing display in their 1-0 victory against Croatia, but Valdes has backed the coach`s tactical choices.
"I do not understand the criticism targeted at the coach, nor do I share it," he told reporters at a press conference. "In football, things can go better or worse, but the results are there.”
"I think the coach has got everything right since he took charge of the national team.”
"He is calm and seeing how we are working to prepare for the matches. He wants to protect the group and make sure we keep doing things well and secure the results like we did at World Cup 2010,” he said.
Spain will now tackle France in the 2012 quarter-finals, and Valdes stressed that comparing Les Bleus` to Barcelona would be a mistake.
"They have the ambition to have the ball, but to compare them to Barca, that is something I would not do."
Valdes has faced Karim Benzema many times in club matches between Real Madrid and the Blaugrana, and he sent a message of caution to his team-mates regarding the forward.
"He is one of the most dangerous strikers in the world," Valdes added. "That is why he plays where he plays and he does what he does.
"We will have to be very wary of him, Franck Ribery and Samir Nasri, of course."
The 30-year-old custodian was then asked about the reports suggesting that Bayern Munich is looking to install Pep Guardiola as the club`s coach in 2013.
"I would be surprised if he takes up another challenge now, since he said he wanted to take a year-long sabbatical from football," Valdes added.
"He would fit in well at any club. No matter where he goes, I would like to wish him the best of luck, unless I have to face his club on the pitch.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC