I would not compare France to Barcelona: Valdes
Warsaw: Spain goalkeeper Victor Valdes has leapt to the defence of Vicente del Bosque, saying that the criticism targeted at the coach is senseless and dismissed the notion that France`s playing style resembles that of Barcelona.
The 61-year-old had come under fire following his decision to deploy Cesc Fabregas as a false nine in La Roja`s 1-1 draw with Italy in their Euro 2012 opener.
Del Bosque was then criticised in the wake of Spain`s disappointing display in their 1-0 victory against Croatia, but Valdes has backed the coach`s tactical choices.
"I do not understand the criticism targeted at the coach, nor do I share it," he told reporters at a press conference. "In football, things can go better or worse, but the results are there.”
"I think the coach has got everything right since he took charge of the national team.”
"He is calm and seeing how we are working to prepare for the matches. He wants to protect the group and make sure we keep doing things well and secure the results like we did at World Cup 2010,” he said.
Spain will now tackle France in the 2012 quarter-finals, and Valdes stressed that comparing Les Bleus` to Barcelona would be a mistake.
"They have the ambition to have the ball, but to compare them to Barca, that is something I would not do."
Valdes has faced Karim Benzema many times in club matches between Real Madrid and the Blaugrana, and he sent a message of caution to his team-mates regarding the forward.
"He is one of the most dangerous strikers in the world," Valdes added. "That is why he plays where he plays and he does what he does.
"We will have to be very wary of him, Franck Ribery and Samir Nasri, of course."
The 30-year-old custodian was then asked about the reports suggesting that Bayern Munich is looking to install Pep Guardiola as the club`s coach in 2013.
"I would be surprised if he takes up another challenge now, since he said he wanted to take a year-long sabbatical from football," Valdes added.
"He would fit in well at any club. No matter where he goes, I would like to wish him the best of luck, unless I have to face his club on the pitch.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow