Italy aims to break 2nd-match hex against Croatia
Krakow : Italy coach Cesare Prandelli has been warning for months that his team`s toughest match of the European Championship is the one against Croatia.
First because Croatia is an unpredictable opponent that has always created trouble for Italy. And second because the Azzurri always seems to struggle in the second match at major tournaments.
Looking back in the record books, it`s hard to argue with Prandelli entering tomorrow`s game in Poznan.
Italy hasn`t beaten its Mediterranean neighbor in their five meetings since Croatia declared independence from the former Yugoslavia in 1991, and the Azzurri are also winless in their second match at their last five major tournaments.
What`s more is that Croatia leads Group C after opening with an impressive 3-1 win over Ireland. Italy also was praised after drawing 1-1 with defending champion Spain.
"It`s going to be the decisive match of the group," Prandelli said. "I`ve been saying for a while that
Croatia is the most dangerous squad because it`s the most unpredictable one. They change the way they play all the time, sometimes even from one half to another."
Croatia is also ranked four spots above Italy in the FIFA rankings -- No. 8 vs. No. 12 -- but that doesn`t mean much to Croatia coach Slaven Bilic.
"For me Italy is -- they`re not better than Spain, right -- but you can`t analyze them, they play with more options," Bilic said. "You know how Spain are going to play but Italy are so unpredictable. They can pass the ball. They can play the short balls. They can play through the middle. They can play counterattack, with long ball from (Andrea) Pirlo to the strikers. They can play down the flanks. They are for me one of the biggest favorites in this tournament."
In their last official meeting, Croatia beat Italy 2-1 in their second group match at the 2002 World Cup -- a game marked by questionable refereeing decisions. Croatia also beat the Azzurri twice in qualifying for Euro 1996, plus in two friendlies, the last coming in 2006.
Italy`s only win over Croatia was a 4-0 friendly victory way back in 1942.
Bilic is expected to maintain an offense-minded approach led by strikers Mario Mandzukic and
Nikica Jelavic, who accounted for all three goals against Ireland.
Italy faces a big question in attack, after Antonio Di Natale scored immediately after replacing Mario Balotelli in the second half against Spain.
Prandelli could keep Balotelli paired with Antonio Cassano, or start Di Natale instead.
"When we decide how to face (Croatia), then we`ll decide which players to use," the coach said.
Prandelli also indicated that he could abandon the new three-man defense he employed for the first time against Spain, and return to a more traditional four-man backline -- which could allow
Daniele De Rossi to return to his more natural position in midfield.
"We need to do well at reading the matches before our opponents," Prandelli said. "The most important thing is to have a balanced squad."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared