Italy vs Spain Euro Cup Final: Key facts
Italy has set up a mouth-watering title clash with Spain after a shock victory over Germany in the semifinals. Read some of the best facts ahead of the final clash Olympic Stadium, Kyiv.
Read Key battles » of the match
Read our Preview » of the match
Also Read: Italy - Road to the final»
Also Read: Spain - Road to the final»
Also Read: 5 reasons Spain are in the final»
• Vicente del Bosque could become only the second coach to win the FIFA World Cup and UEFA European Championship. Helmut Schön was at the West Germany helm for the 1972 EURO and 1974 World Cup.
• If Fernando Torres scores in Kyiv he will become the first player to register in two EURO finals.
• Iker Casillas, Andrés Iniesta, Xavi Hernández, Torres, Cesc Fàbregas, Santi Cazorla, Xabi Alonso, Sergio Ramos and David Silva all featured in the 2008 showpiece. No player has appeared in two UEFA European Championship final wins, though Rainer Bonhof was a non-playing member of the West Germany squads in 1972 and 1980.
• Spain are 19 competitive games without defeat since a 1-0 loss to Switzerland on 16/06/2010 at the World Cup. They have lost four of their 14 friendlies in that time, however.
• Spain are ten games unbeaten, winning seven since their 1-0 defeat by England on 12/11/2011. Their semi-final shoot-out triumph is classed as a draw.
• Casillas has gone 419 minutes without conceding, since Antonio Di Natale`s 61st-minute effort for Italy on 10/06. Spain have kept nine successive clean sheets in major tournament knockout games.
• Fàbregas made his seventh substitute appearance at the UEFA European Championship against Portugal, equalling a record held by the Netherlands` Aron Winter and Cazorla.
• Del Bosque`s team have made 3,417 completed passes at UEFA EURO 2012, to their opponents` 1,530. It was 672/341 against Italy, 810/198 v Ireland, 639/231 v Croatia, 638/429 v France and 658/331 v Portugal.
• Spain have had over 50% possession in 21 of their last 22 games at major final tournaments, the exception being the UEFA EURO 2008 final against Germany (46%).
• Italy have won just two of their last eight games in regulation time and were a national-record six matches without a victory in major final tournaments before beating the Republic of Ireland on 18/06.
• Coach Cesare Prandelli is unbeaten in competitive internationals, recording ten wins and five draws to date, with the shoot-out triumph over England classed as a draw.
• Christian Maggio is available after serving a one-match suspension against Germany.
• In the semis, Mario Balotelli became only the second Italy player to score twice in one EURO game, after Pierluigi Casiraghi against Russia in 1996. He also became the first Azzurri player to register three goals at one UEFA European Championship, a tally that equals Antonio Cassano`s national-record haul at all EURO finals.
• Andrea Pirlo made 146 passes against England, completing 117 – the most at UEFA EURO 2012, extra time included.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing