Italy’s Buffon claims Premier League cheating England squad
London: Italy’s football captain and goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon believes the Premier League is cheating on the England national team.
Buffon believes the top flight on these shores are “no longer very faithful” to the Three Lions as the influx of foreign players means it is harder for domestic players to progress.
Buffon says, “Having a competitive league doesn’t necessarily mean having competitive players.”
“For a number of years now, the English league has had the best football and is the best league in terms of quality. The money that’s in the game means they can go and buy anyone from all over Europe or the world. This can happen in Spain and Italy as well as England, but the league in England is no longer very faithful to what the national side needs,” a news channel quoted Buffon, as saying.
“With this footballing globalisation, it’s very difficult. You struggle to have players from your own country playing in the top league,” he added.
Buffon had a huge part to play in ending England’s Euro campaign as he helped Italy defeat Roy Hodgson’s boys on penalties in the quarter-finals.
But the Juventus stopper is not writing off the Three Lions completely and believes they have been very unfortunate over the years.
He said: “The England national side has its own strengths and they’re a lot more physical than other sides. England aren’t very lucky. They’ve lost on penalties in the last five or six times, so the margins between winning and losing are very thin indeed.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Vodafone appoints six investment banks for $3 billion India IPO
- No takers for Kingfisher Airlines brand at online auction
- Uttarakhand forest fire: PMO assures help for relief work
- AgustaWestland row: Aam Aadmi Party to gherao Sonia Gandhi, PM Narendra Modi's residence on May 7
- Poll contest in Kerala heading from 'bi-polar' to 'tri-polar': Arun Jaitley