Mellberg rues cheap goals as Sweden exit
Kiev: Sweden defender Olof Mellberg lamented the cheap goals that saw Sweden`s elimination from the Euro 2012 Football Championship after two defeats in as many games.
Mellberg scored Sweden`s second goal and saw his shot knocked into the net by Glen Johnson for the first. But the Swedes suffered a 2-3 loss to England that leaves them with no hope of reaching the quarter-finals.
"A few really cheap goals" were to blame for the early exit, the former Aston Villa centre-back said.
Sweden had managed to prevent opponents from carving out a lot of chances, but England and Ukraine, who beat Sweden 2-1 Monday, had still made the Swedes pay, Mellberg said.
"Conceding five goals in these two games is really disappointing. Obviously without conceding too many chances."
Sweden had upped their game since the defeat to Ukraine, and the scoreline against England was not a fair reflection of the game, Mellberg suggested.
"I felt we deserved more today. We did better compared to the first game against Ukraine."
When Sweden play France Tuesday, they can deny Laurent Blanc`s team qualification if they inflict a heavy defeat on the French.
England will face co-hosts Ukraine at the same time in the knowledge that a draw will be enough to secure a place in the quarter-finals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation