Mourinho unhappy with Xavi-Iker friendship
Madrid: The father of Xavi has revealed that Spain captain Iker Casillas got into trouble with Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho because of his friendship with the Barcelona midfielder.
The two have been friends ever since they were teenagers, but their strong bond was put to the test during the heated encounters between Barca and Madrid over the past few years.
Casillas and Xavi managed to put any conflicts aside off the field, and although the Barcelona playmaker`s father has cited the duo`s behaviour as one of the reasons for Spain`s success at international level, Mourinho was unhappy that his skipper remained friends with a rival player.
"Iker got into a lot of trouble with Mourinho over his friendship with Xavi. These problems became public last season and everybody knows about it. Xavi and Iker never had any intention to end their friendship," the Barcelona star`s father said to Com Radio.
"If it weren`t for Xavi, Casillas and Vicente del Bosque, Spain would not have come this far. The Clasicos led to difficult moments. Relationships between players who used to be friends were about to go sour.
"There were issues with [Alvaro] Arbeloa, Xabi Alonso and Sergio Ramos among others. The behaviour of some players wasn`t appropriate. Luckily Iker and Xavi then got involved."
Despite reports of a divided squad in the lead up to Spain`s Euro 2012 campaign, La Roja successfully defended their European title this summer by beating Italy 4-0 in the final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption