No team will want to play England: Rooney
Kiev: Wayne Rooney has stated that England can go all the way at Euro 2012, and believes that teams will not want to play against them in the knockout stages.
After coming back from a two-game suspension, the striker started the match and scored what turned out to be the winning goal as Roy Hodgson`s men put in a somewhat shaky display against the co-hosts.
And the Manchester United man believes that by finishing top of Group D and earning an extra day`s rest by playing in the fourth quarter-final on Sunday, the Three Lions are in good stead for the rest of the tournament.
"I think we know our qualities and what we`re capable of," Rooney told ITV. "We`ve got together and worked really hard, we`ve done a lot of tactical play in training and we`re difficult to beat.
"I don`t think there is any team that would fancy playing us, we`re difficult to break down and we`ve got the players who can score goals, so it`s going well at the minute. We`ll get a good rest now and hopefully we`ll be back fresh."
Having not scored a goal in a major tournament since Euro 2004, the 26-year-old headed home from close range to set up a last-eight clash with Group C runners-up Italy.
"[I am] Obviously delighted with the win and to score is obviously great. I haven`t scored in a major championship for a while so it was nice to get the goal that effectively won us the game.
"I thought the whole team were fantastic, we defended really well and stuck in there at times against a difficult crowd, I thought our fans were brilliant as well and we deserved the win."
France finished second after a 2-0 defeat by Sweden in Group D`s other game, meaning that the Three Lions avoided a quarter-final clash with tournament-favourites Spain, but Rooney says he would not have minded facing either adversary.
"I said before it doesn`t matter [who England play], the main thing was to get through the group and to finish top is great for us. We play Italy now so it`ll be a difficult game of course but we`re confident, we believe in ourselves and you never know," he continued.
"We stuck together, we have a belief in ourselves and are ready for the challenges ahead."
The striker gestured towards his hair when celebrating his goal and added: "I used a bit of Andy Carroll`s product before the game and he asked me to do it if I scored a header. Hopefully I`ll end up with hair like him."
The game against Italy on Sunday kicks off at 20:45CET in Kiev.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now