Racial abuse reported against Italy`s Mario Balotelli at Euro 2012
Poznan: As many as 500 Croatian fans shouted monkey chants at Italy striker Mario Balotelli and evidence has been passed to UEFA, according to the Football Against Racism in Europe (FARE) organisation.
A photographer reportedly saw a steward pick up a banana from near the field close to the Croatian section of the stand.
"FARE observers report between 300 and 500 supporters of Croatia involved in racially abusing Mario Balotelli at last night`s (Thursday`s) match in Poznan," FARE, which places anti-racism observers at Euro 2012 matches, wrote on Twitter.
"UEFA received the observers` reports this afternoon (Friday). We are working with them to provide as much information as possible."
"We congratulate the Italian fans for their support of Balotelli last night. Many sang his name to drown out the monkey chants."
UEFA has said it is investigating claims of racist abuse aimed at Balotelli by Spanish fans in Italy`s 1-1 draw with Spain Sunday, and by Russian fans at Czech player Theodor Gebre Selassie last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened