Robben misfiring for Netherlands: Maradona
Warsaw: Diego Maradona has questioned several of Netherlands` key players, including Arjen Robben, for failing to produce the goods for Oranje after two Group B matches at Euro 2012.
Bert van Marwijk`s side head into the final group game against Portugal needing to win by a two-goal margin to remain in the hunt for a quarter-final berth, and the former Argentina coach pointed at the Dutch forward line as their main problem following a 1-0 loss to Denmark and the 2-1 reverse against Germany.
"It`s desperation time in Group B," Maradona said.
"Coach Van Marwijk has seen a dearth of goals by his side. Robin van Persie finally came alive in the last game with a brilliant strike, too little and too late versus Germany. Robben has missed more goals than he did in the Champions League final, and only midfield genius Wesley Sneijder has shown any quality.”
"Nobody would have predicted that World Cup finalists Netherlands would have zero points after their first two games."
Maradona added that Netherlands must now make some changes to their attack, and urged Van Mrwijk to start new Fenerbahce signing Dirk Kuyt, who will turn 32 next week, instead of Ibrahim Afellay.
"For their sake I hope that Netherlands start Kuyt instead of Afellay to set up strikers Van Persie and Robben," he further added.
Netherlands kick off Sunday`s clash against Portugal at 20:45CET.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India