Robben misfiring for Netherlands: Maradona
Warsaw: Diego Maradona has questioned several of Netherlands` key players, including Arjen Robben, for failing to produce the goods for Oranje after two Group B matches at Euro 2012.
Bert van Marwijk`s side head into the final group game against Portugal needing to win by a two-goal margin to remain in the hunt for a quarter-final berth, and the former Argentina coach pointed at the Dutch forward line as their main problem following a 1-0 loss to Denmark and the 2-1 reverse against Germany.
"It`s desperation time in Group B," Maradona said.
"Coach Van Marwijk has seen a dearth of goals by his side. Robin van Persie finally came alive in the last game with a brilliant strike, too little and too late versus Germany. Robben has missed more goals than he did in the Champions League final, and only midfield genius Wesley Sneijder has shown any quality.”
"Nobody would have predicted that World Cup finalists Netherlands would have zero points after their first two games."
Maradona added that Netherlands must now make some changes to their attack, and urged Van Mrwijk to start new Fenerbahce signing Dirk Kuyt, who will turn 32 next week, instead of Ibrahim Afellay.
"For their sake I hope that Netherlands start Kuyt instead of Afellay to set up strikers Van Persie and Robben," he further added.
Netherlands kick off Sunday`s clash against Portugal at 20:45CET.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal