Rooney can be England`s Pele: Hodgson
Warsaw: England boss Roy Hodgson has likened his returning striker Wayne Rooney to Brazil legend Pele, claiming the Manchester United star can fire the Three Lions to Euro 2012 glory.
Rooney will return from suspension for Tuesday night’s crunch Group D encounter with co-hosts Ukraine, having sat out the opening games with France and Sweden.
Despite both Andy Carroll and Danny Welbeck finding the net during the 3-2 win against the Swedes last time out, Hodgson has said Rooney is likely to start and could even be named as vice-captain.
The 26-year-old will be desperate to get back into action, hoping to help his side gain the point which would seal their passage through to the knockout stages.
And Hodgson believes the 74-times capped forward can take England far into the tournament by replicating the form he showed last season, having netted 35 goals in 44 appearances.
“If you look back through the years... if you take Pele for example, he was capable of producing his very best football when it really mattered to help Brazil win World Cups,” Hodgson told reporters.
“Let’s hope that Wayne can start to do that for us on Tuesday and then, if we win, who knows?
“If Wayne can produce his best, then he can help us keep going even further in the tournament.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes