Rooney only understands Scottish: Capello
London: Fabio Capello has hit back at Wayne Rooney`s "lost in translation" jibe, slamming the striker`s performance in England`s Euro 2012 quarter-final defeat by Italy.
The Manchester United forward angered the Italian by claiming that players found it easier to adapt to Roy Hodgson`s methods because there were no longer any communication problems.
However, following Rooney`s poor showing against the Azzurri in Kiev, Capello has suggested that the 26-year-old can only take tactical instructions from Red Devils boss Sir Alex Ferguson.
"After watching the last game, I think that Rooney only understands Scottish," the 66-year-old was quoted as saying by a leading daily.
Despite his country`s victory, the 66-year-old went on to voice concern over the Italians` lack of cutting-edge ahead of their semi-final clash with Germany.
"Italy played a great match against England, but the Azzurri have a problem: they need a great striker that can finish the huge amount of chances they are making," the Champions League winner lamented.
"However, I think it`s right that Prandelli will continue with [Mario] Balotelli and [Antonio] Cassano up front against the Germans."
But Capello is confident that the Azzurri`s forwards will eventually come good, especially if those behind them continue to create openings.
"[Andrea] Pirlo it`s the best midfielder in the world along with [Daniele] De Rossi," the former AC Milan coach enthused.
"But I hope that [Giorgio] Chiellini will come back into the defence against Germany; he`s so important for Italy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video