Sergio Ramos hails Spain`s mix of youth and experience
Madrid: Sergio Ramos believes that Spain have the right blend of youth and experience to successfully defend their European Championship title this summer.
The reigning world champions will go into the tournament in Poland and Ukraine without two key men in Carles Puyol and David Villa but the versatile Real Madrid defender is impressed by the strength of Vicente del Bosque`s provisional panel.
"I`m happy to be here," Ramos enthused. "It`s nice to be in the national team again. I`m looking forward to starting work on the dynamics and I have very positive feelings.
"We have a mix of young and experienced players and I think the combination of both youngsters and veterans makes the difference.
"We are working really well and I would like to congratulate the newcomers. If they remain with us, it is because they are doing well."
One of those players whose place in the side is not guaranteed is Sevilla striker Alvaro Negredo, who is well aware that he faces some stiff competition for one of the attacking berths in the final squad, which will be announced on Sunday.
"All of us would like to stay but there are top players bidding for it," the forward acknowledged. "The likes of [Fernando] Llorente, [Fernando] Torres, [Roberto] Soldado and Adrian.
"I also want to stay and I have to work hard so that the coach can count on me if he needs me."
Levante left-back Juanfran is also fighting for a place in the travelling party but the veteran insists that he is completely relaxed about the situation.
"I`ve got very good feelings," the 35-year-old insisted. "I`m very happy here to play with the players I`ve watched on TV, and have admired.
"I`m looking forward to it. I am fully focused on the Spanish national team. Nothing else crosses my mind at the minute.
"I hope that I can play some games because I have a tremendous desire to stay with the squad."
Spain have Italy, Republic of Ireland and Croatia for company in Euro 2012 Group C.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption