Spain are always favourites, says Figo
Madrid: Former Portugal star Luis Figo feels that Spain are the favourites to win Euro 2012 based on their performances in recent years.
La Roja can become the first team in history to win back-to-back European titles while holding the World Cup in between, and Figo acknowledged that Vicente del Bosque`s men will head into the finals in Poland and Ukraine as the main contenders for the trophy.
"It`s clear that Spain are the favourites to retain their title this summer based on what they`ve done in the past few years," Figo stated to Radio Marca.
"In my opinion, Spain are always one of the favourites, at least in theory. You never know what happens on the pitch, though."
The 39-year-old then went on to discuss the recent developments in La Liga, and voiced his disappointment with the lack of depth in Spain`s top flight.
"I miss the times when there were more teams in La Liga fighting for the title. It`s just Barcelona and Real Madrid these days."
Valencia finished third in the Primera Division this term, trailing runners-up Barcelona by 30 points, while champions Madrid finished 39 points clear of Los Che.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How to deactivate WhatsApp if your mobile is stolen or lost
- WATCH: Axar Patel performs Champion dance after dismissing Dwayne Bravo for 0
- Australian state Parliament evacuated over suspicious package
- Stop spending money on festivities; focus on education, healthcare: RSS to temples
- Sensex tanks over 200 points on rout in Japan; Nifty below 7,800-mark