Spain are always favourites, says Figo
Madrid: Former Portugal star Luis Figo feels that Spain are the favourites to win Euro 2012 based on their performances in recent years.
La Roja can become the first team in history to win back-to-back European titles while holding the World Cup in between, and Figo acknowledged that Vicente del Bosque`s men will head into the finals in Poland and Ukraine as the main contenders for the trophy.
"It`s clear that Spain are the favourites to retain their title this summer based on what they`ve done in the past few years," Figo stated to Radio Marca.
"In my opinion, Spain are always one of the favourites, at least in theory. You never know what happens on the pitch, though."
The 39-year-old then went on to discuss the recent developments in La Liga, and voiced his disappointment with the lack of depth in Spain`s top flight.
"I miss the times when there were more teams in La Liga fighting for the title. It`s just Barcelona and Real Madrid these days."
Valencia finished third in the Primera Division this term, trailing runners-up Barcelona by 30 points, while champions Madrid finished 39 points clear of Los Che.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'