This is something unique and magical: Iniesta
Kiev: Spain midfielder Andres Iniesta was overjoyed after his country thumped Italy 4-0 in Kiev on Sunday to win Euro 2012.
The Barcelona playmaker turned in an impressive display to help La Roja to their third consecutive major international tournament success, an unprecedented feat.
After winning Euro 2008 under Luis Aragones, Vicente del Bosque has now guided Spain to victory at the 2010 World Cup and Euro 2012 and Iniesta predicted that the achievement would prove unrepeatable.
"I am very happy to win this title again, to do something unique and magical," he told reporters. "This is practically unrepeatable and I am enjoying the moment.
"The important thing is that Spain are champions and that this is what the entire team wanted."
Spain had come under some scrutiny for their performances at Euro 2012, having drawn with Italy during the group stage and edged past Croatia before requiring penalties to beat Portugal in the semi-final.
They turned in a much-improved performance on the biggest stage, however, to blow Italy away at the Olympic Stadium.
"We had a very good match, we were very aggressive while going forward and scored two goals in the first half," Iniesta lauded.
"When Italy were down to 10 men, things just got easier for us. This was exceptional."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 26-year-old woman gives birth to rare conjoined twins in Mumbai hospital
- UPSC topper Tina Dabi's advice to girl students - Read
- Omar Abdullah rubbishes Mehbooba Mufti's claim, says ''she was aware of security encounter with Wani''
- Mainpuri Dalit couple murder: Akhilesh govt assures speedy justice to victim's kin
- Church attacker threatened France in new video