Torres skipped chance to score to allow ‘struggling’ Mata bag Euro glory
London: Spanish star striker Fernando Torres, who won the Golden Boot in the Euro 2012, has said that he was happier setting up teammate Juan Mata for Spain’s fourth goal in the tournament final than scoring himself against Italy.
“It’s the work of the team that led us here and that is why I passed it to Mata. Juan had a difficult Euro 2012, he hadn’t played a minute. I was lucky enough to give him the pass for the goal,” a newspaper quoted Torres, as saying.
Torres said it gave him pleasure to see Mata happy and laughing, as he deserved it after enduring some difficult weeks.
“He deserved to enjoy this as much as the others and this was one of the most beautiful things for me to see him laugh and be happy after some difficult weeks for him,” Torres said.
“After being so important for Chelsea this year, he was the best player for us, he deserved this moment of glory to score in a final and get in the history books and that makes me so happy,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...