Ukraine coach hits back at Blanc’s ‘underdogs’ comment
London: Taking a swipe at French coach Laurent Blanc after he claimed France will be underdogs, his Ukrainian counterpart Oleg Blokhin has hit back ahead of their clash in Donetsk tonight.
Blanc tried to put pressure on the host nation, by claiming Ukraine are favourites to win and qualify from the group, despite being 38 places behind France in FIFA’s world rankings.
Blokhin said: “England and France are leaders in world football. If Blanc said they are outsiders, he cheats a little bit because they have great young players and lots of stars.”
Blokhin tried to play down the starring role of Andriy Shevchenko after the fomer Chelsea striker scored twice to sink Sweden, reports said.
When Blokhin was asked repeatedly about what Shevchenko brings to the team, he joked: “Tea and coffee!”
But he praised the 35-year-old’s attitude. “He is a great example of professionalism, especially at his age. He is a wonderful role model to the younger players,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video