Ukraine coach hits back at Blanc’s ‘underdogs’ comment
London: Taking a swipe at French coach Laurent Blanc after he claimed France will be underdogs, his Ukrainian counterpart Oleg Blokhin has hit back ahead of their clash in Donetsk tonight.
Blanc tried to put pressure on the host nation, by claiming Ukraine are favourites to win and qualify from the group, despite being 38 places behind France in FIFA’s world rankings.
Blokhin said: “England and France are leaders in world football. If Blanc said they are outsiders, he cheats a little bit because they have great young players and lots of stars.”
Blokhin tried to play down the starring role of Andriy Shevchenko after the fomer Chelsea striker scored twice to sink Sweden, reports said.
When Blokhin was asked repeatedly about what Shevchenko brings to the team, he joked: “Tea and coffee!”
But he praised the 35-year-old’s attitude. “He is a great example of professionalism, especially at his age. He is a wonderful role model to the younger players,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH