Veteran midfielder Lampard determined to become England’s latest ‘centurion’
London : Veteran England midfielder Frank Lampard is determined to reach the 100 international caps mark for his country despite getting ruled out of the Euro Cup.
Lampard has 90 caps so far, scoring 23 goals, and is set on reaching the ton to put him in an elite England club alongside only five others Peter Shilton, David Beckham, Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton and Billy Wright.
There has been a speculation within the footballing circuit that Lampard’s latest set back might mark an end to his long international career, but the Chelsea star is adamant he would continue playing for England.
Lampard is also realistic that he might not get an opportunity to play in any of the major international tournaments again, but wants to continue playing in friendlies, and during England’s 2014 World Cup qualifiers.
“I don’t know, I’m taking it as it comes at the minute. I’m certainly not pulling out after the Euros but Brazil at 36 would be some feat for me in that heat,” Lampard said.
However, a source claimed Lampard is still not over with his international career, and is determined to reach the elite century mark.
“Frank is not thinking of packing it in with England. He is absolutely gutted about the injury because he had such a good end to the season with Chelsea,” the source said.
“But he still loves playing for England – and you have to go for the 100 caps if you can get there, haven’t you?” the source added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing