Walcott claims England ‘brimming with confidence’ ahead of Euro QF
London: Theo Walcott has claimed the England team is overflowing with confidence and is capable of beating any team ahead of their Euro Cup quarterfinal clash with Italy on Sunday.
“It now doesn’t matter who you play against in this competition — they will all be difficult. Playing Spain, the world and European champions, would have been difficult, but we’ll take anyone now because we believe we can beat anybody,” Walcott was quoted as saying.
“I’m not going to say we can win this tournament but we’ve got a great chance, like other teams. But if we play to the best of our ability, who knows? We defend well, which is important, and always know we can score,” he added.
“We haven’t seen too much of Italy and maybe the best of them are still to come. They have world-class stars in their team and players who can come off the bench and make a difference as well, but we don’t need to worry about them now,” he said.
The Arsenal star said it was important for them to top their group, and admitted that the Italy team would be a hard nut to crack.
Walcott added: “But it was great to win the group. Our target was to take things game by game and it’s working so far. Everyone is doing their job right. Sweden was difficult to break, we found them tough at times and the French were hard too. It was important to win the group. The Italians will be tough but we’ve got some great players.”
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India