We are not complacent, says Spain’s Xabi Alonso
London: Spain appear to be in no mood to surrender the European Championship title which they won four years ago after a 44-year-long wait.
Mid-fielder Xabi Alonso is under no illusion that Spain will be the team all would want to beat, and ruthlessly.
A daily quoted the former Liverpool star, as saying: “We have developed into a near perfect team. We have a great sense of pride and responsibility to live up to the expectations. The danger for Spain was if we had gone into this tournament with a sense of destiny and complacency.”
“If we think we don’t have to work hard, or put in too much effort to win, then the danger is evident. But that is not the case with Spain. We are responsible, committed and driven three of the main reasons why we are in this position. The challenge is to win our third successive title and create history,” he added.
“But we are under absolutely no illusions, we are the team everyone wants to beat. People don’t want us to win. They expect us to win,” Alonso said.
“We are not complacent. We don’t underestimate our rivals and collectively we are pulling in the same direction.”
The man who played at Anfield for five years, said: “Until Euro 2008, when everything came together, we went into tournaments like England tipped for success and with massive pressure. If I could hand out any advice to England, it would be to ignore the hype and work as a team.”
“There are no superstars in the Spanish side. There is just complete unity and belief. We win together and we lose together. I have lived and played in England and I know what football means to the supporters. It is more than a sport,” Alonso said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Turkey police detain 28 in raids on Erdogan foes
- AAP MLA arrested for sexual harassment, Kejriwal attacks PM with ''Emergency'' taunt
- Rahul Gandhi is in London with a special friend: Subramanian Swamy
- Death toll in Islamist attack in Somalia rises to 15: Police
- Britain's EU commissioner steps down after Brexit vote