We can still make it, says Portugal`s Pepe
Lviv (Ukraine) : Portugal`s central defender Pepe believes his side can still progress to the last eight as long as they play quality football they showed in the 0-1 defeat at the hands of Germany.
"I think that we can feel as the winner today. We did everything we could to win the game," said the Real Madrid star.
"In the first half we were stronger. In the whole, we had more chances to score than the opponent. They had luck to score," he said.
Portugal was so close to the opener in the last minute of first half Saturday when Pepe tried to fire into the top-right corner only seeing the ball rejected by the crossbar, according to reports.
"It`s a goal almost scored. It was very bad luck for us. Germany is strong as a unit. Today we showed we are a united team too. We showed great team spirit even in the most difficult moments," he said.
"We showed great levels of persistence but that is football. Now we should concentrate on training. We have good hope for the next match," added by the defender.
Mario Gomez`s header propelled Germany to victory in the "group of death " together with Denmark, who upset the tournament favourites the Netherlands 1-0.
Portugal`s head Coach Paulo Bento also praised his side`s efforts.
"I think the first 45 minutes we were stronger than Germany. When they dominated a bit and had more of the ball later we still defended well. In the last minutes, we did everything to change and to score. Bad luck when the ball was deflected."
On June 13, Germany will play with the Netherlands and Denmark will meet Portugal, which will be a "do or die" battle for Bento`s side.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video