We couldn’t handle Russia counterattacks: Rosicky
Warsaw: Czech Republic midfielder Tomas Rosicky praised Russia`s counterattacking gameplan in their 4-1 Euro 2012win over his side on Friday.
Alan Dzagoev grabbed the headlines netting twice and further goals from Roman Pavlyuchenko and Roman Shirokov rendered Vaclav Pilar’s second-half strike irrelevant.
After the match, Rosicky revealed that his side had hoped to press their opposition early but were picked off by Dick Advocaat`s clinical team.
He told reporters: “We wanted to be active from the kick off, engaging in the attack but we failed whenever we lost the ball and Russia`s counter attacks were very tough for us to cope with.”
The Arsenal midfielder also expressed his belief that the Czech’s wastefulness cost them in the first half and left them chasing the game late on.
“There was a phase at the start when we weren`t scared, we had our chances and we were the better side," he continued.
"Being two-nil down at half time we couldn`t cope with counter attacks for the rest of the game. In our next matches will show how good we are.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice