We dared to play great football, says Ibrahimovic
Kiev (Ukraine): Sweden striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic said the team`s 2-0 Euro 2012 consolation victory against France was for the fans, saying his team "dared to play" great football at the tournament despite going out.
Ibrahimovic`s second-half volley and a Sebastian Larsson goal on the break in injury time condemned the French to second place in Group D in Kiev, Ukraine, Tuesday.
It rounded off Sweden`s disappointing group campaign, which began with a 1-2 defeat to Ukraine and a 2-3 loss to England, on a relative high. They finished third.
"We were a bit unlucky against Ukraine and England. I think we were performing well; we went ahead in all three games. We dared to play," Ibrahimovic said.
He dedicated the win to the team`s fans, which outnumbered their opponents at every game except co-hosts Ukraine.
"We were a bit nervous, but today we got a good finish for our supporters," the 30-year-old AC Milan striker said. "We discussed this morning, to get a good win for our supporters, who travelled a long way."
Ibrahimovic insisted the win boded well for Sweden`s 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign, which begins in September.
"It`s a fantastic feeling, for the fans too. It`s a good start for the future, so to speak, especially ahead of World Cup qualifying."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM