Wenger defends Van Persie after Dutch booing
London: Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has come in defend of his team captain Robin Van Persie after Dutch fans accused him of being a poor finisher and arrogant, following Holland’s disastrous exit from Euro 2012.
The Dutch football public wants Van Persie dropped and Klaas Jan Huntelaar selected as Holland’s main striker.
However, Wenger has come out to vehemently defend his captain, calling Van Persie as the ‘best striker in the world’.
“Robin van Persie deserves more credit in Holland than he gets. I think he was still the best striker at the European Championships,” Wenger was quoted as saying.
“I watched all his games. If you look at the runs he made, his passing, everything really, was very good. He did not take some of his chances but that was down to tiredness. Robin is a class above other strikers. A class above Huntelaar,” he added.
Wenger, after the Euros, will make a final attempt to get Van Persie to sign a new deal with the Gunners.
“Robin is not just a great striker or a great player. He is an exceptional player. He did not have to prove himself here. I can understand he wanted to prove that he can score goals for Holland. That is an obvious ambition because he is so intense, he loves the game so much,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country