Europa delight for Shakhtar, Galatasaray, Werder
London: Shakhtar Donetsk kept up their excellent Europa League title defence when a 2-0 win in Toulouse clinched a place in the first knockout round.
Turkey`s Galatasaray also advanced with two matches to spare, winning 3-0 at Dinamo Bucharest in Group F, while Salzburg are on the verge of progressing after beating Group G rivals Levski Sofia 1-0 with a stoppage-time goal by Franz Schiemer.
Werder Bremen left it late to beat Austria Vienna 2-0 in Group L, Tim Borowski and Hugo Almeida on target as the Germans moved into the last 32.
Second-half goals by Luiz Adriano and Olexiy Gai in southern France gave Ukrainians Shakhtar a maximum 12 points from four games in Group J.
Group E is turning into a real dogfight. Former Liverpool full back John Arne Riise scored for Roma in a 2-1 triumph over England`s Fulham in the Olympic Stadium after the Serie A club had gone behind.
Stefano Okaka Chukka grabbed the winner after Erik Nevland was sent off for visiting Fulham, who ended with nine men when Paul Konchesky was red-carded in stoppage time.
The win lifted Roma into second place, two points behind Basel who beat CSKA Sofia 3-1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet