Europa League Round of 16: Fenerbahce, Benfica & Basel take first-leg advantage
Here`s a quick round-up of some of the other matches that took place in the Europa League`s Round of 16 on March 07:
VIKTORIA PLZEN 0-1 FENERBAHCE
Fenerbahce drew first blood in their Europa League last-16 tie with Viktoria Plzen as they returned to Turkey with an invaluable 1-0 away win to their name.
The winning goal came on 81 minutes when Gokhan Gonul`s cross from the right found Moussa Sow in the box, and despite the striker`s original attempt stopped by the goalkeeper, Pierre Webo followed up to secure a vital Turkish win on the road.
The result ends the Czech side`s seven-match winning sequence in continental competition at home and their invincible Europa League run in Plzen.
BENFICA 1-0 BORDEAUX
Benfica used home advantage to their credit after they were gifted an own goal in the first half to come away with a 1-0 success at Bordeaux`s expense.
Les Girondins were hoping to become the first club to win at the home of the Eagles, but they came undone on just 21 minutes as Rodrigo`s piledriver from the edge of the box crashed against the crossbar which the shot-stopper Cedric Carrasso put into his own net.
Bordeaux now go into the second leg of their clash with Benfica still winless on Portuguese shores.
BASEL 2-0 ZENIT
Basel left it late at St-Jakob Park on Thursday to take a 2-0 lead and full control of their tie with Zenit St Petersburg.
The deadlock wasn`t broken until 83 minutes as Mohamed Salah`s effort was saved by Vyacheslav Malafeev, but Marcelo Diaz popped up in the right place at the right time to sweep home the rebound.
And in the first minute of injury time, Luis Neto was given his marching orders for hauling down Salah in the box, allowing veteran striker Alexander Frei to convert from the penalty spot for a convincing victory.
LEVANTE 0-0 RUBIN
In the only draw of the night, Levante and Rubin Kazan failed to find a route to goal - or the initiative in the round of 16 - at the Ciudad Valencia, but they did share a red card apiece.
Despite their fair share of snapshots, the action did not simmer until 52 minutes when Cristian Ansaldi tangled with Sergio Ballesteros illegally for his second yellow card of the night, putting the Russians a man down in the process.
And just two minutes later, Michel was also headed for an early bath as his lunge on Gokdeniz Karadeniz was considered excessive by the referee to leave the tie finely posed ahead of the return leg in a fortnight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!