Europa League semi-finalists Hamburg thumped 5-1
London: Europa League semi-finalists Hamburg SV continued their topsy-turvy season when they were thumped 5-1 at midtable Hoffenheim on Sunday.
Hamburg, who visit Fulham for the second leg of their Europa League tie on Thursday after being held 0-0 at home last week, never recovered after defender Joris Mathijsen gifted the ball to Vedad Ibisevic, who fired Hoffenheim in front after only 78 seconds.
The Bosnian headed another goal nine minutes later, taking his season`s tally to 12, before Nigeria forward Chinedu Obasi put the hosts further ahead just after the half hour, turning Christian Eichner`s pass into the net from eight metres.
Robert Tesche pulled one back in the 65th minute but it was only a brief respite as Obasi and Bosnian Sejad Salihovic scored twice in a five-minute spell to complete the rout and end a seven-match winless run for the hosts.
Hamburg`s misery was complete when substitute Tolgay Arslan was given a straight red card for a foul in the 89th minute.
Hamburg made a bright start to the season but have dropped to seventh after being plagued by injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley