Europa League: Spurs, Swansea hunt for more Euro success
Paris: Premier League duo Tottenham and Swansea put unbeaten records on the line in the third batch of Europa League group action on Thursday.
Spurs can even qualify for the knockout stages with three games to spare should they see off FC Sheriff in Moldova and the other Group K tie ends in stalemate.
Wins in Russia last time out against Anzhi Makhachkala and Norwegians Tromso have left Andre Villas-Boas`s high-flyers coasting in a competition in which they reached the quarter-finals last season.
Villas-Boas, who lifted the 2011 Europa League trophy with FC Porto, told uefa.com: "This trophy means a lot to Tottenham - last year we embraced the competition in a serious way, and we aim to do so again this season.
"Our objective is to progress."
Speaking after the Anzhi victory the Portuguese commented: "A win is what we wanted and gives us the opportunity in the next games against Sheriff to ensure qualification."
Spurs striker Jermain Defoe is on the brink of rewriting club history as one more goal will swell his European catch to 24 and draw the England striker level with club record-holder Martin Chivers.
Swansea made it two out of two to lead Group A with a hard-fought 1-0 triumph over Saint Gallen in south Wales at the start of the month.
On Thursday they are back at the Liberty Stadium playing host to Russian visitors Kuban Krasnodar, facing a Premier League side for the first time.
Like Tottenham, Swansea, competing in Europe for the first time since the 1991/92 season, are not only unbeaten but they have yet to concede a goal.
Both Spurs and Swansea, who were applauded by the Valencia fans after stunning the Spaniards 3-0 in their opener, are in good heart after stylish wins on the home front at the weekend.
Britain`s third contender, FA Cup winners Wigan, are out to build on their first ever home European win - a 3-1 triumph over Maribor of Slovenia - when they host Rubin Kazan.
The Russians represent tough opposition, firing in nine goals to top Group D, with Wigan two points behind in the all-important second spot which gains qualification to the next round.
Sevilla, winners of the predecessor to the Europa League the 2006 and 2007 UEFA Cups, are undefeated and lead Group H, a position of superiority they are out to confirm when they travel to Slovan Liberec of the Czech Republic.
Group E leaders Fiorentina, buoyed by a 4-2 defeat of arch-rivals Juventus in Serie A on Sunday, are in Romania to tackle Pandurii Targu-Jiu.
With Germany striker Mario Gomez sidelined American-born Giuseppe Rossi, back after three operations in two years, has answered his club`s call, scoring a hat-trick against Juve.
His experience with Villarreal when he scored 11 goals on the way to helping his former Spanish club reach the semi-finals in 2010/2011 will prove invaluable with the Italians taking seriously their Europa league engagement.
"This team is built to win," said Rossi after the Juve win.
"We have big hearts and great motivation. We have great players on the field and on the bench. Fiorentina can take on anybody."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh