Everton boss Martinez plays down Fellaini injury fears
Belgium: The Belgium international missed the Toffees` final pre-season game against Real Betis due to an infection but will be fit for their Premier League opener against Norwich City
Everton boss Roberto Martinez has confirmed Marouane Fellaini missed the 2-1 friendly win over Betis due to an infected cut, but should be fit for the start of the season.
The Belgian midfielder had started five of Everton’s six pre-season games this summer but was left out of the squad for their final friendly fixture before the Premier League campaign kicks off, which the Goodison Park outfit won after goals from Nikica Jelavic and Kevin Mirallas.
The decision fuelled speculation that Fellaini could be set for a move to Manchester United, after Goal revealed David Moyes has turned his attention to his former Toffees player after failing to sign Barcelona’s Cesc Fabregas.
But Martinez has insisted that Fellaini would have played were it not for an infection and he should feature against Norwich on August 17, providing he returns from international duty unscathed.
"Marouane would have been available if it was a competitive game," he told the club’s official website.
"He picked up a cut on the US tour. Bearing in mind he has to join the Belgium squad now - and in two days the infection will clear. I didn`t want to risk hurting him."
The former Wigan boss also provided an update on Darron Gibson, who was forced off just before half-time with a knee problem.
"Darron is the only negative,” Martinez added. "We have been quite fortunate throughout pre-season not to pick up knocks and bruises, but in the warm-up he opened his knee slightly, so he`s got a grade one ligament problem.
"We`ll have a clearer idea of it in the next 48 hours."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22