Everton boss Martinez plays down Fellaini injury fears
Belgium: The Belgium international missed the Toffees` final pre-season game against Real Betis due to an infection but will be fit for their Premier League opener against Norwich City
Everton boss Roberto Martinez has confirmed Marouane Fellaini missed the 2-1 friendly win over Betis due to an infected cut, but should be fit for the start of the season.
The Belgian midfielder had started five of Everton’s six pre-season games this summer but was left out of the squad for their final friendly fixture before the Premier League campaign kicks off, which the Goodison Park outfit won after goals from Nikica Jelavic and Kevin Mirallas.
The decision fuelled speculation that Fellaini could be set for a move to Manchester United, after Goal revealed David Moyes has turned his attention to his former Toffees player after failing to sign Barcelona’s Cesc Fabregas.
But Martinez has insisted that Fellaini would have played were it not for an infection and he should feature against Norwich on August 17, providing he returns from international duty unscathed.
"Marouane would have been available if it was a competitive game," he told the club’s official website.
"He picked up a cut on the US tour. Bearing in mind he has to join the Belgium squad now - and in two days the infection will clear. I didn`t want to risk hurting him."
The former Wigan boss also provided an update on Darron Gibson, who was forced off just before half-time with a knee problem.
"Darron is the only negative,” Martinez added. "We have been quite fortunate throughout pre-season not to pick up knocks and bruises, but in the warm-up he opened his knee slightly, so he`s got a grade one ligament problem.
"We`ll have a clearer idea of it in the next 48 hours."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof