Everton legend Royle returns to Goodison
Former Everton manager Joe Royle has returned to Goodison Park as part of manager Roberto Martinez`s coaching staff.
Royle has been brought in to help young players breaking through from the Premier League side`s academy and Under-21 set-up and he will also assist in scouting and recruitment.
The 65-year-old was a product of the Everton youth system himself and went on to score 119 goals in 275 appearances for the club from 1966-74 before winning the FA Cup during his three-year spell as manager in the 1990s.
Bringing through young players has been an area of strength for Everton, with Ross Barkley the latest off the production line, and manager Martinez believes Royle will be a valuable addition.
"Everyone knows the incredible influence Joe has had at our football club, both as a player and a manager," Martinez told Everton`s website.
"He is a true Evertonian and we all welcome him back to Goodison Park.
"Joe`s experience and football know-how will be hugely beneficial for the youngsters at a key stage of their development. He is the first major change in our structure in player development."
Royle, who has also had spells as Manchester City, Ipswich and Oldham manager, only took up a role as footballing consultant to Norwich manager Neil Adams in June.
But he admitted the chance for an emotional return to Goodison was too good to turn down.
"I was happy with my role at Norwich City and wouldn`t have considered an offer from any other club than Everton," he said.
"It`s like coming home for me. I made my debut for Everton as a 16-year-old so I understand what it means to be a young player coming through at this football club.
"I`m looking forward to using my experience to help the players we have here.
"I admire what Roberto achieved in his debut season and I am really looking forward to working alongside him."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?