Everyone but Redknapp thinking of England job
London: Instead of being concerned about the England’s manager’s post, the Tottenham Hotspur boss Harry Redknapp was concentrating on his club duties as well as his relief that he had been cleared in court of tax evasion charges.
"I don`t know anything about the England job," he told Sky Sports News on a day when the front and back of British newspapers were full of speculation that he could take over the national team after Capello`s resignation on Wednesday.
"I`ve not even thought about it. I`ve got a job to do, I`ve got a big game on Saturday with Tottenham so Tottenham is my focus."
England players Rio Ferdinand and Wayne Rooney were among those calling for Redknapp to be appointed with England now without a manager just four months before Euro 2012.
"I think we need an English manager now, we don`t need anything else lost in translation...Harry Redknapp would be my choice by a distance," defender Ferdinand wrote on Twitter.
His Manchester United team mate Rooney also tweeted "Harry Redknapp for me", while the newspapers barely mentioned any other candidate.
"`Arryvederci" and "We want Harry" declared The Sun, while The Daily Telegraph stated "Capello Out. Redknapp in?"
Tottenham director Keith Mills said talk of Redknapp leaving Spurs was premature.
"Our position has been clear - the fans want Harry to stay at Tottenham, the players and the coaches do, the board does, and we hope he does stay," Mills told BBC radio.
"If he is (approached) then Harry clearly has a big decision to make. He`s managing a top-three team in the biggest league in the world, we`re doing incredibly well at the moment. I know he loves it, it will be a tough decision for him."
Before Capello`s exit, the 64-year-old Englishman was already favourite to take over from the Italian after Euro 2012 and now, with a major championship fast approaching the calls have got louder.
More light should be shed when the FA gives a news conference later on Thursday.
Capello`s departure following a row over the deposed England captain John Terry came on a day when Redknapp was cleared of tax evasion charges after a 13-day trial.
Having left court a free man with an unblemished record, he soon found himself in the spotlight once again as the media circus launched into full flow following the shock resignation of the England manager.
Redknapp, himself, was more interested in the end of the court case.
"I felt better today than I did yesterday morning, that`s for sure," he said.
"It`s a case that should never have been brought to court in the first place really...It`s past us now and we look to the future."
The speculation is uncomfortable reading for Spurs fans, who have enjoyed good times under a manager, who led the team to the Champions League quarter-finals last season.
This season they are challenging for the Premier League title, sitting in third place with 50 points from 24 games, five points behind second-placed Manchester United and a further two behind leaders Manchester City.
The notion of Redknapp, whose Tottenham contract runs until 2013, taking on the England job on a caretaker basis while staying at Spurs until the end of the season did not sit well with Mills.
"Clearly that`s not an ideal scenario," he said. "I think trying to do two jobs is probably going to be a bit of a stretch for anyone."
Even British Prime Minister David Cameron weighed into the debate, saying he was sorry to see Capello go.
"England now needs a new coach and a new captain and I hope we can get on with that and make sure we make the best of the opportunities this summer," Cameron told reporters in Stockholm.
Asked if Redknapp should get the job, he replied: "The day when the prime minister picks the England coach will be a very bad day for football."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly