Ex-Liverpool defender Aurelio set for Gremio debut
Rio de Janeiro: Former Liverpool and Valencia defender Fabio Aurelio is set to make his debut for Brazilian top-flight club Gremio, more than nine months after suffering a serious knee injury.
The 33-year-old trained freely on Wednesday and was included in coach Vanderlei Luxemburgo`s preliminary squad to face Cruzeiro in the Campeonato Gaucho on Thursday.
Aurelio underwent surgery in July to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee suffered during a training exercise just days after signing with the Porto Alegre club.
He will compete for Gremio`s left-back spot with Arsenal loanee Andre Santos and highly rated teenager Guilherme Biteco.
Aurelio was released by Liverpool in June last year after six seasons and 87 first-team appearances for the Merseyside club.
He also spent six years at Valencia having joined the Spanish outfit from Sao Paulo in September 2000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why
- Kangana Ranaut's deposition after lot of delay, drama, says Hrithik Roshan's legal team
- WATCH: Ugly spat between Harbhajan Singh, Ambati Rayudu during Mumbai Indians vs Rising Pune Supergiants match
- Congress may project Priyanka Gandhi or Rahul Gandhi as its CM candidate for UP polls 2017
- ISKCON pins hopes on PM Narendra Modi for Krishna temple in Moscow