Ex-Liverpool defender Aurelio set for Gremio debut
Rio de Janeiro: Former Liverpool and Valencia defender Fabio Aurelio is set to make his debut for Brazilian top-flight club Gremio, more than nine months after suffering a serious knee injury.
The 33-year-old trained freely on Wednesday and was included in coach Vanderlei Luxemburgo`s preliminary squad to face Cruzeiro in the Campeonato Gaucho on Thursday.
Aurelio underwent surgery in July to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee suffered during a training exercise just days after signing with the Porto Alegre club.
He will compete for Gremio`s left-back spot with Arsenal loanee Andre Santos and highly rated teenager Guilherme Biteco.
Aurelio was released by Liverpool in June last year after six seasons and 87 first-team appearances for the Merseyside club.
He also spent six years at Valencia having joined the Spanish outfit from Sao Paulo in September 2000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth