FA Cup: Nani, Chicharito on target as Manchester United beat Reading
London: Manchester United booked their place in the sixth round of the FA Cup after victory over Reading at Old Trafford.
Second-half goals from Nani and Chicharito were enough for the hosts to claim the win, despite a late goal from Jobi McAnuff, as they march on to face either Chelsea or Middlesbrough.
Both sides made wholesale changes to their teams with just David de Gea, Phil Jones and Danny Welbeck keeping their places in the side for the hosts, while Reading handed Adam Le Fondre a rare start.
Sir Alex Ferguson`s men got off to a flying start and might have opened the scoring in the opening minutes. Almost straight from the kick-off Chicharito saw a low shot blocked, but neither Welbeck nor Antonio Valencia were able to slot the loose ball home.
Less than a minute later, Welbeck again went close. Some clever work by Ashley Young saw him slip the ball through to the striker but his low shot was saved by Adam Federici.
Yet Reading slowly came back into the game, pressing United high up the pitch and looking a real threat at set pieces.
Indeed United had the returning Nemanja Vidic to thank on 17 minutes, as the centre-back did superbly to head Nicky Shorey’s free-kick to safety with Sean Morrison poised to head home.
As the first half drew to a close United were forced into a change, with Phil Jones hobbling off after a strong challenge by Jobi McAnuff.
Substitute Nani made an instant impact on the game, smashing a right-footed volley across goal and onto the post before forcing Federici into another good stop with a stinging left-footed shot as the hosts ended the half strongly.
The Red Devils emerged after the interval with a greater tempo but struggled to convert their greater urgency into clear-cut chances, leading to the arrival of Robin van Persie for Young just after the hour mark.
The Dutchman’s arrival helped United take almost complete control of the game, forcing Reading further and further back until finally the Royals’ resistence was broken.
With 69 minutes on the clock, Valencia carried the ball down the right before passing to Nani in the box, who took one touch before poking past Federici to break the deadlock.
Minutes later the game appeared effectively over as a contest, as United grabbed a second. Again the danger came down the right, this time through goalscorer Nani who crossed for Chicharito to nod home at the near post and double United’s lead.
Yet with 10 minutes to go a lapse in concentration in the United defence set up a nervous finale after McAnuff pounced on some awful defending to drive past De Gea from close range.
Reading have made late comebacks their speciality at times this season, but on this occasion there was to be no fairytale, as United held on to continue to fight on three fronts while the visitors must concentrate on their fight for Premier League survival.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow