Fabregas, Messi lead Barca Cup rout
Madrid: Lionel Messi and Cesc Fabregas each scored twice as Barcelona thrilled the Nou Camp with a crushing 4-0 win over Osasuna in their King`s Cup last 16 first leg.
The Spanish, European and world champions completely dominated their La Liga rivals, victory made all the sweeter when talisman Messi came off the bench to add two goals to first-half strikes from the former Arsenal captain.
Barca had said Messi would miss the game with flu but the Argentine World Player of the Year was able to replace Pedro for the final half hour against an outclassed Osasuna.
Fabregas, who was at Barca`s youth school with Messi before moving to London, put the home side ahead in the 13th minute.
He doubled their lead five minutes later with a fine piece of close control and a sublime chip over goalkeeper Asier Riesgo.
The 24-year-old Fabregas has been in blistering form since returning to the Catalan capital in the close season and thriving in the more advanced role he has been given by coach Pep Guardiola.
Messi netted a rare header from a Fabregas cross 20 minutes from time before picking up a pass from the influential Xavi in added time and curling a shot into the corner of the net.
"I didn`t vomit and there was no fever, I just had a stomach ache, nothing more," Messi said in a television interview.
"That`s why I couldn`t take part in this morning`s training but later on I recovered enough to be able to play."
Barring upsets in next week`s second legs, Barca face a quarter-final clash with bitterrivals Real Madrid, who beat them 1-0 in last year`s final.
Jose Mourinho`s side came back from two goals down to win their last 16 first leg against Malaga 3-2 on Tuesday.
Real Sociedad, King`s Cup winners in 1987, took the upper hand against Real Mallorca when they beat the 2003 champions 2-0 at their Anoeta stadium in San Sebastian earlier on Wednesday.
There were surprise results in Tuesday`s other three games.
Third-tier Mirandes took a 2-0 lead over visiting Racing Santander, while another Segunda B side, Albacete, drew 0-0 at home to Athletic Bilbao.
Second-division Alcorcon, who eliminated Real Zaragoza at the last 32 stage, snatched a 2-1 win at home to Levante.
Valencia host 2010 winners Sevilla and Espanyol play at second-division Cordoba in Thursday`s remaining two first legs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Is there life after death?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'