Falcao double gives Atletico semifinal edge
Madrid: Atletico Madrid put one foot in the Europa League final after a Radamel Falcao double lifted the 2010 winners to a 4-2 semifinal first leg win at home to La Liga rivals Valencia on Thursday.
The Colombia striker nodded Atletico ahead in the 18th minute at a festive Calderon before Jonas levelled moments before the break.
Second-half goals from defender Miranda, forward Adrian and a stunning second from Falcao made it 4-1 before Ricardo Costa snatched a second for the visitors in the fourth minute of added time to keep Valencia`s hopes alive for next week`s return at their Mestalla stadium.
Known as `The Tiger`, Falcao took his tally in this season`s edition of Europe`s second-tier club competition to 10 goals, level with Schalke 04 striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, although the Colombian is still some way short of the record of 17 he set last season during Porto`s triumphant campaign.
Valencia were looking to avenge their controversial elimination at the hands of Atletico at the quarterfinal stage two years ago, when they had a clear penalty claim turned down and went out on away goals.
Midfielder Arda Turan created Atletico`s opening goal when he got the better of Adil Rami on the byline and his cross was deflected to Falcao who nodded past Diego Alves.
Rami made amends for his error in first-half added time when he leaped above the Atletico defence at a corner and nodded the ball on for Jonas to prod home at the far post.
Miranda stole in behind the Valencia defence to nod in Diego`s free kick four minutes after the break and Adrian sped past his marker and shot back across Alves into the corner for Atletico`s third five minutes later.
Falcao the struck the goal of the night in the 78th minute when he cut in from the right past two defenders and lashed the ball high into the net off the underside of the bar, prompting wild celebrations from coach Diego Simeone.
But in almost the last action of the match, Costa sent a powerful header past Atletico goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois from Tino Costa`s outswinging corner to give Valencia hope of turning the tie around.
The winners will play La Liga rivals Athletic Bilbao or Portuguese side Sporting in next month`s final in Bucharest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark