Federation Cup: Pailan Arrows hold Dempo, Lajong beat Mumbai FC
Jamshedpur: The 34th Federation Cup football began here with an upset of sort as the I-league champions Dempo SC was held 1-1 by the AIFF development side Pailan Arrows, Kolkata.
In the other Group A match of the day, Shillong Lajong defeated Mumbai FC 2-1 in a keenly contested tie.
Pailan Arrows could have won the match had the young side had some experience. However, the slippery ground condition caused by Tuesday`s downpour prevented both sides from playing their natural game at JRD Tata Sports Complex.
After a barren first half, Pailan Arrows` forward Holicharan Narzary put his team into the lead in the 52nd minute after dribbling two defenders of the rival team.
Dempo, however, equalised eight minute later as mid-fielder Clifford Miranda headed home.
Expressing satisfaction with the performance of his young side, Pailan coach Arthur Papas said in holding the strong Goan team, the boys have exhibited an impressive show.
Stating that the ground condition was not suitable for good football, Dempo coach Armando Colaco said now the team have to win the next two matches.
In the other match played at Keenan Stadium, Shillong Lajong FC surged ahead in the 43rd minute after Liberian-born USA-based John D Menyongar, who was the captain of Liberia in the World Cup qualifier, converted a penalty awarded following a handball by the Mumbai FC player in the penalty box.
Lajong`s joy was, however, shortlived as Mumbai FC`s Nigerian recruit Ndobuisi Opara equalised after receiving a cross from the right flank in the injury time before the lemon-break.
Later on the 82nd minute, it was the turn of Lajong`s Nigerian striker Friday Gbeneme to score the winner after tearing apart the rival defence line.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India