Ferdinand tells footballers to `banish their booze demons`
London: Ahead of the friendly against France, England defender Rio Ferdinand has delivered a sermon on the drawbacks of drinking, saying that alcohol should be enjoyed only in moderation.
"Responsibility is a big thing. As a young player, it took me a while to understand the responsibilities of a footballer, but the sooner you learn that the fewer mistakes you`ll make over your career,".
"Nowadays you have a game Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday. There`s no room in that time frame to go out on the lash and get smashed, the way you used to," he added.
The 32-year-old further said that drinking was part of the culture when he was growing up, but insists that "things have changed".
"Nowadays, you can`t afford to do that. You`re playing against teams who are physically in tip-top condition. If you`re going out you are not going to be in the same physical condition. You can`t do yourself or your team justice," Ferdinand said.
"If you`ve got a free week, there`s no problem going out, enjoying yourself and letting your hair down. You don`t have to live like a monk. But you`ve got to pick and choose your right times," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested