Fergie says David Gill stepping down as Man U chief executive ``big loss for him``
London: Sir Alex Ferguson has admitted Manchester United chief executive David Gill``s decision to step down from his position at the end of the season would be a big loss for him, as he was his most powerful and closest ally at Old Trafford.
Ferguson revealed he tried to find a way of persuading Gill to stay, the Telegraph reports. The pair formed a crucial alliance during Gill``s decade as chief executive, fostered during regular Friday morning meetings in Ferguson``s office at the club``s training ground. Edward Woodward, the club``s 40-year-old executive vice-chairman, and someone who has driven a huge expansion in United``s commercial activity in recent years would replace Gill.
Gill will remain on the United board but will now focus on his attempt to win election to Uefa``s executive committee as the Football Association``s representative in three months`` time.
Fergie said Gill stepping down is a big loss to him, but the fact that he is staying on the board encourages him that the reason for his departure is heartfelt, adding that Gill believes it is time for the club to move on. Ferguson added if he could have found a way of persuading Gill to stay then he would love to have done that.
Ferguson said Gill has made his decision and he respects him for that, adding he has been, and will continue to be, a fantastic success for United. Fergie added Gill has all the qualities of successful people ingrained in him: energy, honesty, integrity, personality and decision-making ability, and he wished him well in whatever new challenges he will tackle in the future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview