Ferguson believes Rooney`s immaculate disciplinary record down to maturity
London: Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes striker Wayne Rooney has finally matured as a footballer, which depicts in his unblemished disciplinary record this season.
Statistics claim that Rooney is yet to pick up a caution in his last 27 games, and he hasn`t even committed a foul.
It makes the brief red mist that transpired during England`s game in Montenegro last September even more unfathomable, as that grouchy kick at Miodrag Dzudovic means Rooney will be suspended from the first two Euro 2012 group games against France and Sweden
This stat has come as a surprise for many as 26-year old Rooney has averaged 10 cautions a season over his senior career, but Ferguson thinks it is all down to maturity.
"You always see a maturity about players when they reach their mid-20s. Along with their ability comes the maturity, the thought patterns and the timing - it all comes into their game," a daily quoted Ferguson, as saying.
"They are more in control of themselves in terms of what they are capable of doing. Experience helps, of course and that`s what they get when they are in their mid-20s," he added.
"People mature. I never worry about that with Wayne. I don`t think he has had many bookings, but as a team we haven`t had that many compared with other teams. And we have had only one sending off - Jonny Evans," he said.
Interestingly, during this time last year, Rooney picked up a two-game ban for swearing into a television camera after completing his hat trick in United`s spectacular comeback at West Ham.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends