Ferguson believes Van Persie can beat personal record to guide Man U to PL title
London: Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes striker Robin Van Persie can beat his personal best tally of 37 goals a season this year after a fantastic start to life at Old Trafford, scoring seven goals already in six matches.
Ferguson has also demanded at least 20 goals apiece from Van Persie and striker Wayne Rooney to keep United in Premier League title contention.
Ferguson believes the Dutchman will only get better as his fitness improves and his partnership with Rooney develops.
“Robin has seven goals from six starts and the encouraging thing for me is that he didn’t have any pre-season games,” the Daily Express quoted Ferguson, as saying.
“Could he beat his last season’s total of 37? Well, I would love that to happen. In my experience, where we are at the moment, you need two strikers who are going to get you over 20 goals a season. If you get that, you have a really good chance,” he added.
“Robin can make goals as well. He has good vision in his passing. The goal he made for Shinji Kagawa against Tottenham last week is evidence of that. I’m quite happy with what he’s doing at the moment. And I think he will improve even more as his fitness improves,” he said.
Ferguson added: “It was interesting to play Van Persie, Rooney and Chicharito together the other night as it gives us some thoughts and options about certain games. Rooney played in a deeper position as he has done before.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur