Ferguson blames media for trying to fail David de Gea
London: Sir Alex Ferguson has praised David de Gea’s early-season form as “outstanding”, and slammed the media for allegedly conspiring to see the 18.3 million pounds goalkeeper fail in English football.
De Gea, the 20-year-old who signed from Atletico Madrid in the summer, will return to Manchester United’s team to face Chelsea in the Premier League after his understudy Anders Lindegaard impressed in the Champions League draw with Benfica in midweek, a daily reports.
Following Lindegaard’s impressive performance, Kelly Cates, daughter of Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish, asked Ferguson whether De Gea’s position was under threat. He responded with a bad-tempered attack on what he described as a “stupid” question.
Now the United manager claims forces in the press are deliberately trying to undermine De Gea.
“There’s obviously an agenda on De Gea and we experienced that with the press again on Wednesday night after the game in Benfica. For some reason they are desperate for the boy to fail and I don’t understand it. He will be back in the team against Chelsea absolutely – that was always the arrangement,” the paper quoted Ferguson, as saying.
“It’s nothing to do with his age; they never did that with Petr Cech when he joined Chelsea. He’s 20 and he’s coming into a country where he doesn’t know the culture. There’s a lot he’s had to deal with and he’s showing a lot of composure about the whole thing. He doesn’t speak English, he’s been looking for a house and now found one, he’s been learning to drive in England. He’s not been flapping about in the goalmouth, he’s been really composed. He’s outstanding,” Ferguson added.
Meanwhile, Cech, who will face De Gea for the first time today, has said that any goalkeeper arriving from Spain will need time to adapt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?