Ferguson has `a word` with Young about diving
London: Ashley Young`s theatrical antics on the pitch have earned him comparisons with British Olympic diver Tom Daley, but they may be at an end after Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson said on Friday he had "had a word" with the player.
Young has been accused of diving during United`s recent matches against Queens Park Rangers and his former club Aston Villa with critics rounding on him for going down too easily to earn his side penalties.
Ferguson, speaking to reporters at United`s Carrington training ground before Sunday`s match against Everton at Old Trafford, said he had spoken to the 26-year-old England winger about his actions.
"I have had a word with Ashley," said Ferguson.
"He understands where we are coming from. Hopefully it makes a difference."
Ferguson added: "Last week (against Villa), if the player doesn`t bring Ashley down he is going to score. It was a clear goalscoring opportunity."
"He caught him and he did overdo the attempt to get a penalty. I am not sure he tried to get the penalty but he certainly went down quickly.
"But people have reacted because it is Manchester United."
However, Ferguson said he thought diving was again becoming prevalent in the game.
"I watched Real Madrid and Bayern Munich the other night and it was absolutely ridiculous, players were diving and rolling about, nothing like what Young has been accused of," he said.
"Then you see the other night in the Chelsea game, we are in an age where you expect it now."
In that match, Chelsea`s Didier Drogba, who scored the only goal in his side`s 1-0 win over Barcelona, was widely criticised in the media for going down far too easily throughout game.
Ferguson added: "You get bad decisions and good ones. Believe me, it does even itself out."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city