Ferguson says proud to have ‘outlived death’ after statue unveiling at Old Trafford
London: Manchester United has honoured manager Sir Alex Ferguson for his services to the club by unveiling his statue at Old Trafford, and the legendary Scot said it was a proud moment for him.
“Normally people die before they see their statue. I’m outliving death,” a daily quoted Ferguson, as saying, gazing approvingly at the Philip Jackson statue of himself, that was unveiled on Friday at Old Trafford before a rapturous audience of fans, family and former players.
Ferguson’s speech at the event reflected upon his incredible journey at United, which has encompassed 26 years, 37 trophies and personal accolades too numerous to mention.
The timing of the statue’s presentation was significant, too, on the eve of United’s match at Old Trafford on Saturday against Queens Park Rangers, the same opposition they faced for the manager’s first home match in charge on Nov 22, 1986.
“It’s fantastic, a really proud moment. Now my three sons, daughters-in-law and all my grandchildren can all come down here on the bus on a Saturday,” Ferguson said.
“I’ve had so many great players, some of whom are here. They should build a statue for them, because they have been absolutely marvellous. From 1986 right through to today, the players have given us enormous pleasure,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today