Ferguson says there is no reason why Scholes shouldn’t play on
London: Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has said the return of midfield maestro Paul Scholes to the club exceeded his expectations, and he feels there is no reason why the former shouldn’t keep playing on.
The initial plan to use him sparingly has been revised, and now there is a growing sense at Old Trafford that he will be acquiescent to moves to extend his playing career for another season.
“When I said to him last year, ‘You’ll give me 25 to 30 games’, it wasn’t enough for him in his opinion. But I think he may look at it differently now. I haven’t discussed his future with him. But on the evidence we have seen at the moment, there is no reason why he shouldn’t play on,” The Telegraph quoted Ferguson, as saying.
He has racked up ten appearances and two goals since returning to action, Scholes has already surpassed the expectations of Sir Alex Ferguson and his coaching staff. Since his return, United have won five and drawn one of the Premier League games in which Scholes has played and the prospect of an 11th title winners’ medal remains alive.
Scholes’ contribution off the pitch is regarded as being as effective as it has been on it since he returned to the first-team squad, with younger team-mates such as Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Tom Cleverley talking of the assurance of having his experience in and around the team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!